Sunday, September 5, 2010

Minneapolis update

Bearded Child Film Festival made a special appearance at an undisclosed location this past Saturday. The lineup included Phil chambliss' "The Paster and the Hobo," Jon Ennis' "Radio Active Beaver, Episode 1" and Matthew Silver's new work, "Love Comes Out of the Butt." The event celebrated 10 Years of the Bearded Child Film Festival featured CINEPLOSION live projections and live music from the Minneapolis underground, while encouraging spectators to dress in all white.

As a stoogie old avant-gardist, rarely does anything brick-shitting cross my desk. Well if I had a brick to shit it would be gladly passed, as MIKE ETOLL appeared on the scene and handed over a disk of brand new 2010 films. Wow, these unseen works knocked me flat with insane logic and the mental musings of a maniac. Somewhat similar to the work of Montreal's Volatile Works Collective and the Buharov Brothers of Hungary, mixed with a touch of Guy Maddin and maybe even Don Hertzfeldt. My word. Etoll is also said to have won a recent Jerome Foundation grant, which is a true tryumpt for Minnesota's grant community. The Jerome also funded Jason Wade's work-in-progress, Stabber, and makes me calm and elated for the future. Hopefully CINEPLOSION will get it's act together and release the work of these artists in the near future

With each visit to Minneapolis, I also forget how bad-ass the films of TREVOR ADAMS have become. Troll Eyes kicked me in the rear and made me wake up to this guy. Along with mega-genius BRYCE BEVERLIN and others, there is a scene here of artists that should be known and one day probably will-- whether it takes 100 days or 100 years.

Special thanks to JOSEF CARL BERNS for setting this all up, and to all the dedicated Grand Rapidians that showed to support-- it definitely made my day to know that Bearded Child has remained in the minds and makes me want to fire up this beast and role.

No comments:

Post a Comment